Tourist Guide > What to see > Heritage of the Past > Jewish Monuments

Regional Jewish Museum – Synagogue Polná

The old synagogue stood in the Dolní město (Lower Town) in 1675. After the development of the Jewish town at the so-called "Horní město" ("Upper Town"), the ruling nobility had a brand new stone and brick domed synagogue built. After its numerous fires, it was always rebuilt. The only surviving original Baroque elements of the synagogue are four characteristic elongated arched windows and a fr

Regional Jewish Museum: Rabbinical House Polná

In 1717, the addition of a another floor to the house neighbouring the synagogue created a Jewish community centre with a residence for the shammes (beadle) and a scullery with a matzo bakery and an entrance to the ritual bath in the cellar. The first floor housed the rabbi's residence, town offices, and rabbinical chapel (winter prayer hall) with 30 seats. Between 1785 and 1850, it also housed a


In the late 1600s, the Jewish community in Telč resided primarily on Židovská and Hradební ulice Streets in houses that adjoined the city ramparts, which was also the location of the synagogue. The synagogue, however, was damaged in a fire in 1885. It was adapted after the war, and now serves other functions. During the course of the 19th century, the Jewish population in Telč experienced a s

Gustav Mahler House Jihlava

Shortly after the birth of Gustav Mahler, his entire family moved from Kaliště to Jihlava, where the future composer spent his childhood and youth. The house where he grew up features an exposition titled "Gustav Mahler a Jihlava" ("Gustav Mahler and Jihlava"). The exposition is divided into several sections that capture Mahler's youth, musical opus, and later interactions with Jihlava. In


Jewish settlement in Jihlava can be dated to shortly after the foundation of the city itself, in the mid-13th century. The eclipse of Jewish quarter, including the synagogue and cemetery, took place following the expulsion of the Jews from the city in 1426. Jewish families dispersed from here to the surrounding towns and small cities. The more recent Jewish town functioned here beginning

The Empire synagogue Třešť

After a fire in 1824 that destroyed the Třešť Jewish ghetto, an Empire-style synagogue was built thanks to the financial support of Isaac Wiesenwald and a public collection. The synagogue is located north of Náměstí T. G. Masaryka Square on Ulice Franze Kafky Street. It is the only one in the


Documented evidence of a Jewish community in Polná dates back to the 15th century. However, the community was not allowed to build in the city until the second half of the 17th century. The ghetto and synagogue were established in 1681–1685, and its state of preservation, comprehensiveness, and i

Jewish Cemetery Telč

The Jewish cemetery was built in the second half of the 19th century. Until then, Jews in the Telč region were buried in the cemetery in the nearby town of Velký Pečín. The Telč Jewish cemetery is situated on the southeastern edge of town, a short distance from Staroměstský Pond. The cemetery

Synagogue Telč

The Telč synagogue was built in the Neo-Romanesque style in 1904. It served the Jewish town until the Second World War, when its interior furnishings were completely destroyed by the Nazis. After the war had ended, the building became the property of the city, which modified it for its own use, and


The first traces of a Jewish population in Třešť, where they settled after their expulsion from Jihlava, dates back to the 1400s. After a decree issued by Count Ferdinand Ernst Herberstein in the second half of the 17th century, all of the residents of the Jewish town were forced to relocate to

The Jewish cemetery Třešť

The Jewish cemetery in Třešť, which lies on the southern edge of the city, was established some time around the mid-17th century. The cemetery has over a thousand Baroque- and Classicist-style gravestones, the oldest of which dates 1705, and belongs to Rachel, daughter of Geršon. During the Seco

Gustav Mahler Park Jihlava

Gustav Mahler Park is a remembrance of the world-renowned musical composer Gustav Mahler, as well as a reminder of the history of the area. It was once the location of a synagogue, which was burned to the ground by the Nazis. It is memorialised by its exposed foundations. A dominant featur

The Jewish Cemetery Jihlava

The Jewish cemetery in Jihlava is a significant monument that reminds us of the existence of the Jewish town in the city. It was established in 1869, and includes 1,120 contemporary gravestones. In the early 1900s, a ceremonial hall was built at its entrance on the designs of Viennese architect Wilh

Jewish Cemetery Brtnice

Jewish people's prominent position in Brtnice's history is evidenced by the fact that the area boasted at least two Jewish cemeteries. The so-called "starý hřbitov" ("old cemetery") was situated along the road to Panská Lhota, and was established prior to 1600 as a replacement of an even older c

Jewish Cemetery Polná

The burial site for Polná Jews is located at the Donlí město (Downtown) – Pod Kalvárií, where the former residential complex of several Jewish families stood until the the second half of the 17th century. The cemetery was most likely established in the early 16th century. The oldest section o


Jewish settlement in Jihlava can be dated to shortly after the foundation of the city itself, in the mid-13th century. The eclipse of Jewish quarter, including the synagogue and cemetery, took place following the expulsion of the Jews from the city in 1426. Jewish families dispersed from here to the


It is believed that Jewish settlers came to Brtnice as early as the 14th century. This fact, however, remains unsubstantiated. Documented proof of the presence of Jewish settlers dates from the mid-17th century. During the period between the late 1700s through the mid-1800s, approximately 60 Jewish

Jewish Cemetery Batelov

The historical presence of Jews in Batelov is remembered only by their gravestones in the cemetery hidden in a deciduous forest not far from town. The cemetery emerged in the second half of the 15th century. It has both Baroque and Classicist gravestones. The oldest legible gravestone is dated 1715.

Synagogue Batelov

The former synagogue was destroyed in a fire in 1790. Four years later, a new synagogue emerged in its place, which was renovated in the Classicist style in 1825. The synagogue served its religious worship function up until the Second World War, however, after the war had ended, the Jewish town was


After the expulsion of the Jews from Jihlava that took place in the 1400s, the Jewish exiles found refuge in the surrounding towns and small cities. Puklice was one of these towns. At the time, the Jewish quarter was comprised of a total of 14 houses and 4 meat shops. A small synagogue, or perhaps m

Jewish Cemetery Pavlov

One of the smallest Jewish cemeteries in the Czech Republic is located in the tree undergrowth approximately 800 m outside of the town of Pavlov. It is believed to have been founded at the turn of the 19th century. Today, it has 27 surviving simple steles, which are scattered throughout the entire c

Mahler Jihlava Festival: Music of Thousands

The Music of Thousands music festival's series of concerts, vocal recitals, and other social events serves as a remembrance of the renowned Vysočina native: composer and conductor Gustav Mahler. This annual classical music festival began in 2002. It links all of the places related to Gustav Ma

Jewish Cemetery Větrný Jeníkov

The local Jewish cemetery was established most likely in the first half of the 17th century, served as a burial site for Jews from the neighbouring towns of Úsobí and Herálec as well. Today, its area of 960 square metres includes almost 250 surviving gravestones, the oldest of which dates back to


Židovská čtvrť v Batelově byla zmiňována od poloviny 15. století. Přišly sem také židovské rodiny, které byly vypovězeny z Jihlavy. V těch dobách byla pravděpodobně ustavena židovská obec, která ovšem od doby druhé světové války neexistuje. Situována byla na severovýchod

Vysočina Tourism, příspěvková organizace
Na Stoupách 3
P.O.BOX 85
586 01 Jihlava
IČO: 28263693
Vysočina info  What to see  Trip Suggestions  Where to stay  What to do   
Basic information
Importatnt Figures
Vysočina Extremes
Vysočina Facts
Information centre
Heritage of the Past
Natural Sights
Worth Seeing
Museums and Galleries
Observation Towers
Historical cities
Lookout Towers
Children's Attractions
Trip Suggestions
Summer activities
Winter activities


Spolufinancováno Evropskou unií z Evropského fondu pro regionální rozvoj.