Třebíčsko

Tourist Guide > What to see > Heritage of the Past > Jewish Monuments

The Jewish Quarter Třebíč

One of the oldest and most important centres of of Jewish settlement in Bohemia is located in the city of Třebíč. Besides Jerusalem, the Jewish monuments in Třebíč are the only that have been inscribed on their own to the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage List (in 2003). This uniquely preserved Jewish quarter—the largest complex of preserved Jewish monuments in the Czech Republic

Rear Synagogue Třebíč

The Rear Synagogue was built in 1669, or shortly thereafter. The Jewish town sought to expand the synagogue, which the ruling nobility not only rejected in 1693, but also ordered its demolition. Despite this fact, instead of complete demolition, "only" the roof was torn down, and the entire structure fell into disrepair. In 1705, the Jewish town applied to the new owners of the estate, Count Johan

Front Synagogue Třebíč

The Front Synagogue was most likely built in 1639–1642. It has been repaired and renovated numerous times, such as the reconstruction after an extensive fire in 1821. Roughly 200 years later, in 1856–1857, the area saw its largest construction activity, once again after a large fire. The synagogue was renovated in the Neo-Gothic style we see today. Since the 1950s, the Front Synagogue has

Třebíč

Třebíč was once a significant Moravian Jewish cultural centre, as is evidenced by the uniquely preserved quarter. The first written mention of the presence of Jews in Třebíč appeared in 1338, and later also in the early 15th century. At the time, several families lived here in various locations across the city, but there is no specific information on the number of Jewish residents or the Jew

In the Footsteps of Abbots and Rabbis Educational Trail

(Třebíč) The UNESCO monuments in Třebíč are linked by an educational trail that introduces visitors to about the most interesting locations around the Jewish town, Jewish cemetery, as well as St Procopius Christian basilica. It reveals glimpses of the lives of the religious communities that have lived side by side for centuries here.



Moravské Budějovice

The first mention of Jews in Moravské Budějovice dates back to the 14th century. The medieval Jewish quarter with its synagogue and cemetery faded out after the expulsion of the Jews from the city in 1564. Modern settlements here were recorded beginning in the 19th century. After the war, the Art

Police

The first families came to Police most likely during the course of the 16th century. The oldest written record from 1671 states that Jewish settlers came to Police from Vienna. However, even here, the growing Jewish population was subject to the resentment of the local residents, so in 1728, the Jew



The Seligmann Bauer House

(Třebíč) Seligmann Bauer had the house built shortly before 1798 on the so-called "Španělský pozemek" ("Spanish Land"). The value of this house stems from its direct connection to the Rear Synagogue. Inside the house there is a staircase accessing the women's gallery in the synagogue, and the house's owne

Jewish Cemetery Třebíč

The location of the original cemetery of the medieval Jewish population of the city is not known. The Jewish cemetery at Hrádek was mentioned in written sources for the first time indirectly in 1636 in connection with aristocratic regulations on the burial of extralocal Jews. With an area of 11,7

The Jewish Cemetery Police

On the southern edge of the town of Police lies a preserved Jewish cemetery that was founded 17th century at the latest. The cemetery houses approximately 300 headstones, which include several priceless Baroque and Classicist steles. A number of these feature very interesting symbolism.The graveston

Jewish Cemetery Jemnice

The Jemnice Jewish cemetery was established in the mid-14th century, and is decidedly one of the oldest Jewish burial sites in Moravia. There are approximately 400 gravestones, the oldest of which comes from the 1600s. In 1824, a mortuary was built at the cemetery, but this was demolished in 1955–

Jemnice

The city of Jemnice is home to one of the oldest Jewish towns in the Czech Republic. First written mention dates as early as 1336. There are a total of 23 surviving buildings of the former Jewish quarter neighbouring the town square on its southern end (today the Zámecka and U Templu Street area).

The Jewish Cemetery Moravské Budějovice

At first, Moravské Budějovice Jews buried their deceased in cemeteries in the surrounding towns —Jemnice, Police, and Třebič. They later established their own cemetery, but this was abandoned during the 18th century. In 1908, the city granted land to the community for the foundation of a new c

The Synagogue Police

The first documented synagogue in Police used to stand on the village green. It was transformed into a residential house after 1728. Another synagogue was built in Židovská ulice (Jewish Street), which unfortunately burned down during a fire in 1758. The very next year, (1759), a new brick synagog

Jewish Cemetery Střítež

Approximately 500 m to the southwest of town, by the Zámecký Pond lies a Jewish cemetery where visitors can find headstones with Hebrew, German, and Czech inscriptions. It dates between the 18th and 20th centuries. The older stone steles feature ornamental decorations.

 
 
Vysočina Tourism, příspěvková organizace
Na Stoupách 3
P.O.BOX 85
586 01 Jihlava
IČO: 28263693
webmaster@vysocinatourism.cz
www.vysocinatourism.cz
  
Vysočina info  What to see  Trip Suggestions  Where to stay  What to do   
Basic information
Importatnt Figures
Vysočina Extremes
Vysočina Facts
Edition
Information centre
Heritage of the Past
Natural Sights
Worth Seeing
Towns
Museums and Galleries
Observation Towers
Historical cities
Lookout Towers
Gastronomy
Children's Attractions
Trip Suggestions
Summer activities
Winter activities

        

Spolufinancováno Evropskou unií z Evropského fondu pro regionální rozvoj.